Frequent Bathroom Remodeling Questions
This list of frequently asked bathroom remodeling questions was put together to help you in your discovery phase of your bathroom planning.
There are hundreds of decisions to be made during your bathroom remodel design phase. Our focus is to make this process as painless as possible for all of our design and renovation clients.
Can I meed with one of your designers to discuss options for my bathroom remodel and get a free estimate?
- We would be happy to meet with you to discuss your bathroom remodel. During that meeting we can share preliminary ideas for your bathroom remodel and give you our estimate of the budget range for your bathroom remodel.
How do we get started with planing my bathroom remodel?
- We like to start the process with our design phase. During this phase we will get to know your wishes and your overall home style. From there we will help you navigate through the multitude of details involved with updating your bathroom's floor plan, cabinet style, counter top options, tile flooring options, lighting ideas and much more.
Does Homework Remodels always start with a design phase?
- We make a practice of starting with a design phase with almost all of our clients. We find that it insures the best ultimate remodel with the fewest issues for everyone concerned.
Are there costs for the design phase?
- We do charge for the work we do to design bathroom remodels. Our minimum charge is $500.00. We will discuss charges with you when we meet for your free consultation and budget range evaluation.
How long will it take to design my bathroom remodel?
- It will depend on the complexity of your bathroom remodel. Reconfiguring the floor plan or deciding on structural changes will take longer. Usually it will take two to four weeks.
Where do we start with the design phase of our bathroom remodel?
- We usually start by asking you questions about how you and your family use your bathroom. We need to know what works for you and what doesn't. If you have a wish list we what to know all about it. If you have gathered online photos of bathrooms you admire we would like to see them. Our goal is to start by learning to see your home and your future bathroom through your eyes. Once we do this we can add our expertise to the mix to develop the design for your new bathroom.
How long will it take to remodel my bathroom?
It will depend on the extent of your bathroom remodel as to how long it will take. Most bathroom remodels include removing the tub and or shower plus replacing the toilet vanity and flooring. If the bathroom remodel is more extensive the entire room may be rearranged and or enlarged involving concrete floor cutting removing and rearranging walls and the ceiling.
A simple bathroom remodel might be finished in as little as two weeks. More extensive projects could take four to six weeks depending on the complexity of the new bathroom.
Can my shower be re-tiled without redoing the bathroom floor?
- We have successfully replaced tubs and showers without redoing the bathroom flooring. Tubs can be more of an issue if the edge of the bathtub has a unique shape. The best situation is when the homeowner has extra tiles from the last bathroom remodel to repair the floor as necessary after the tub replacement.
Is it necessary to have a bathroom exhaust fan?
The building code does not require exhaust fans if the bathroom has a window but the reality is that every bathroom should have an exhaust fan.
The biggest reason is to remove humidity from the bathroom during baths and showers. Humidity that builds up in your bathroom will damage everything it comes into contact with in the bathroom. Many homeowners will notice issues with the walls, ceiling, and fixtures only after it has reached the point of needing repair.
By running the fan while you shower or bathe the humidity will be removed. You will notice the mirror will not fog over, nor will anything else in the bathroom suffer from the moisture.
How do I choose a new toilet?
Toilets can be challenging to pick out for your new bathroom. They are not like cars that can be taken for a test ride. In fact most big box stores have them displayed on high shelves making it even harder to decide.
The best way to choose is by doing online research and possibly visiting a plumbing showroom. Many of these showrooms will not only have toilets down where you can inspect them, they will also have experts on staff to explain your options.
What are WaterSense bathroom fixtures?
The EPA set up the Watersense program to help preserve the nations water supply. Watersense fixtures have been third party verified to perform as well or better that conventional bathroom and kitchen fixtures while using 20% less water.
These bathroom and kitchen fixtures are the state of the art in water features. I would always recommend that you consider a Watersense fixture if at all possible for your bathroom remodel.
How long does a double sink vanity need to be?
- A double sink vanity cabinet needs to be at least five foot wide to provide enough space for two people to use the area at one time.
What is frame-less glass?
Frame-less glass refers to the various shower enclosures made with either 3/8" or 1/2" glass. This thicker glass is tempered and safe for bathroom use. It is strong enough to be used to make dividing walls and doors.
The glass comes in many variations to satisfy different design options. formless glass shower doors and enclosures are totally custom enabling you total freedom in your bathroom shower designs.
What type of tile can I use on my bathroom floor and shower?
Bathrooms have been built and remodeled in any number of types of tile over the years. Traditionally showers were built with ceramic tile made specifically for bathrooms and kitchen back-splashes.
Today the choices are limitless. Bathrooms are being remodeled using numerous types of stone, ceramic, porcelain, metal and glass tile depending on the design’s style.
What does it take to rearrange my bathroom floor plan?
The original layout in some bathrooms is so bad that the only cure is to start over with a new floor plan. Before diving into demolishing the bathroom that has irritated you for so long, be sure to work out all the details of your new layout and design.
A bathroom layout needs to be a balanced mix of practicality and style. Arranging the features so that you are showing off a beautiful shower or a vanity with it's unique faucets, counter tops and mirror will create both style and function.
If you are concerned about minimizing the budget, be sure to consider plumbing accessibility. Arranging your new bathroom floor plan to require minimum plumbing changes will have a positive effect on the cost of your bathroom remodel.
How can I avoid forgetting to turn off the bathroom exhaust fan?
Nothing is more annoying than finding that an exhaust fan has been running all day while you were away The loss of electricity from the fan running and the loss of conditioned air that you paid to cool or heat can be frustrating.
The simplest cure is installing a timer switch. There are various options, the best ones will have several buttons for time options from a few minutes to half an hour. Be sure that your timer switch is rated for twenty amps in order to match your exhaust fans requirements.
Why does my shower smell?
The bad news is that if your shower has a odor in it there is a water leak causing what may be a mold problem. If it is leaking there is no way to fix it other than t tear out and replace the shower.
You should have a professional inspect your shower to determine the extent of the problem and take care of it as soon as possible. If you have mold in your walls it can be a serious health risk for you and your family and should’t be taken lightly.
Mold spreads easily when it is disturbed so don’t attempt to deal with it yourself.
Why is a tile shower expensive to replace?
Most people are surprised to find out how much it costs to replace a bathroom shower. The only thing more expensive is to replace a poorly installed shower that has failed shortly after it was installed.
Before the shower tile is installed there is a major amount of work that goes into insuring that the new shower will stay watertight and drain properly for years to come. Taking shortcuts or using inferior materials or workmanship on your new bathroom shower will only lead to disaster.
Is it better to replace or refinish my bath tub and shower tile?
Refinishing a bathroom tub and or shower can be a good option in some situations. Professionally done it can add years to the life of your tub or shower without the major expense of removal or replacement. Your bath tub must not have rust in it if you expect the new finish to last for an extended time. Minor injuries in the existing tub or tile can be repaired prior to refinishing so that your updated bathroom features will look like new.
Keep in mind that the grout lines will be refinished along with the tile. Everything will be monochromatic. If you have larger grout lines this may look artificial.
Is it necessary to replace the shower valve for my new shower?
Technically it’s not necessary, but it is considered the wise thing to do considering the expense of creating the new bathroom shower and what it would take to replace the old shower head after the new shower is installed.
There may be occasions where the existing shower valves were built so that they could have their internal components replaced without starting over. This would be the exception to the rule.
Does homework Remodels do bathroom remodeling in my area?
We serve homeowners in metro Phoenix and all of the surrounding communities of Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Ahwatukee, Gilbert, Glendale and Mesa. If you are looking for an experienced bathroom remodeler we would invite you to contact us for all your home improvement needs.
As a full service design build remodeling contractor we can help you update your homes bathrooms or create an entire new bathroom or master suite for you.
For additional bathroom remodel questions email Steve at: