Many homeowners focus on the appearance of their kitchen when they make the occasional small upgrade. We’re all guilty of getting something cool because… well, because it’s cool. But when our kitchen gets to the point that it feels cluttered and loses the much-needed functionality, it’s time to take a step back and recreate our vision of the perfect kitchen. Here are 10 great ideas to add more functionality to your kitchen.
- Lighting – The kitchen is where we prepare food, so it must be well lit in just the right areas. Ambient lighting is important, but task lighting and spotlighting are even more so.
- Keep it Clean – A clean kitchen is an inviting kitchen. Keep it clean and tidy so you feel more comfortable preparing food and inviting company into the room.
- Keep it Organized – Keeping it organized is one of the more difficult kitchen tasks. We all enjoy a well-organized kitchen, but we’re also all guilty of putting the scissors in the wrong drawer or putting the dishes away incorrectly. Occasionally take a few minutes to make organize the kitchen so it doesn’t get frustrating over time.
- Add Storage – Lack of proper storage areas is one of the biggest reasons the kitchen may become unorganized. Build new storage areas or create new ways to organize your kitchen items.
- Wide Walkways – The kitchen island is often an amazing addition to the home because it adds functionality. Unfortunately it can also create a road block in the flow from room to room. Make sure your kitchen island or bar doesn’t impede the flow of traffic from area to area.
- Efficient Range Hood – Clean air is extremely important in the kitchen. A lot of oils and gases fill the air in the kitchen when we cook. All of those odors and oils can easily be removed from the room by a range hood with a fan.
- New Appliances – Today’s appliances are highly Energy Star rated and add more functionality than simply keeping our food cold, making ice, or cooking our meals. Take a long look at some of the added functionality of newer appliances before you purchase them.
- Lots of Electrical Outlets – Power outlets are a must-have in the kitchen. Consider doubling up and adding outlets that also have USB plugs for your electronic devices.
- Charging Station – The bar or the island are great spots to consider adding a charging station. Everyone in today’s world has electronic devices of some type. We often request that those devices be put away during meal times, so a charging station is the perfect solution. Your family’s electronics can be safely tucked away and on charge while dinner is on the table.
- Counter-Height Bar – A counter-height bar allows you to install additional base cabinetry and increase the amount of countertop space you have while maintaining the ability to sit at the bar to eat or socialize.
Homework Remodels is home to some of the best remodelers in the greater Phoenix area. We truly enjoy helping homeowners transform their homes into something spectacular. Here are several examples of our work if you would like to view our handiwork before you give us a call at 602-478-5102 to get started on your kitchen remodeling project.