If you plan on renovation your bathroom, you should be aware of all the associated costs. Many homeowners find that they go over budget for the simple reason that they did not consider some of the work that will be done and the costs to do them.
Twenty-five expenses that a bathroom remodeling project will incur and that you should be aware of are:
- Building and other permits: most areas require that you get and pay for varying types of permits for renovation work. Depending on the work to be done, you may need a building permit, electrical and plumbing permits. For older building, you may also need to pay to test for lead or asbestos before you can start tearing down and renovating.
- Cost for demolition: Depending on the work to be done, some amount of demolition will be needed.
- Unexpected costs associated with wood rot, improper or old electrical wiring and insect infestation are possible.
- Plumbing work, especially replacing pipes and fixtures.
- Shower curtain rods: these small items often get overlooked when budgeting for renovation.
- Robe hook: this may not costs a lot, but it still needs to be budgeted for, especially I the bathroom is used by more than one person.
- Grab bars (for bathroom or toilet): you may not need them now, but budgeting for or making plans for them is important.
- Tissue roll holder: you need to find the type you want and budget accordingly.
- Windows (if needed): You may need a new window or window treatment, such as molding or curtain rods.
- Electrical plugs and sockets: make sure you plan for enough of these.
- Grout for shower floor and floor: you need different types
- Labor costs: even if you are doing most of the work, put aside some money for labor as you will more than likely need some help.
- Accessories/decorative touches: you may want to include mirrors, a paintng or plants for that special touch.
- Clean up costs: You will need to clean up and cart away debris. In most cases, you will need some help to get this done.
The items below need no explanation, but they also add to the overall cost of your bathroom renovation.
- Exhaust fan
- Soap dish
- Toothbrush holder
- Medicine cabinet
- Makeup mirror
One way to ensure that you do not miss any expenses is t create a bathroom renovation checklist and budget.
Home Remodeling in Phoenix
Phoenix area homeowners are going to have the opportunity to learn about home design from our award-winning design team. Check out the information for our Homeowner Design Seminars, and give us a call at 602-478-5102 to discuss remodeling your home with us.